1. Got elementary kids? This afternoon, their teacher assignments will be posted at the public school sites. We hear you can also find out through the Parent Portal, but what fun is that? And for the bigger kids, Vista Del Mar Middle School is having an ice cream social tonight from 4-5 on campus. Sounds like a goodhttp://sanclemente.patch.com/listings/vista-del-mar-middle-school way to cool off from this heat!
2. Riding the waves a whole different way: It’s the weekend of the Tall Ships Festival in Dana Point. The sunset parade is tonight. The rest of the festivities last all weekend long. See the website for details.
3. Go on and get out of here, you crazy knucklehead: Lots of bands on tap at Knuckleheads Sports Bar this weekend. You’ve The Fur Flies tonight and BenT Jetty, Sad Summer and Hey JYOSH Saturday.
4. There’s still time: San Clemente is looking for vendors and sponsors for the 13th Annual SC Open skate contest Sept. 21, which promotes local boarders while offering a healthy competition for youth. Proceeds go to the Friends of San Clemente Beaches, Parks & Recreation Foundation. The contest typically draws more than 1,000 spectators and 100 youth athletes. To become a sponsor or get a booth, Call Don Kindred at (949) 492-8973.
Wanna compete? There is a $35 registration fee to compete in the contest. The contest will be held on Saturday, Sept. 21 at Ralph’s Skate Court, 241 Avenida La Pata, and will include the “best trick” contest. All contestants will receive a sponsor T-shirt and have an opportunity to win prizes and a cash prize for the best trick. Pre-registration is accepted online at san-clemente.org and on-site registration/check-in begins at 7 a.m. the day of the event. Skaterboarders must wear proper safety equipment. For more information, call (949) 429-8797.
5. Patch read of the day: VIDEO: A UFO in San Juan Capistrano? You Be the Judge
For other fun events, check our events calendar.