A public memorial has been announced in the name of Darius Porter of Mission Viejo, who was 21 on Monday when he died after running into I-5 traffic.
- Where: Lesneski Mortuary, 640 S. El Camino Real, San Clemente
- When: Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 2 p.m.
A donation goal of $3,000 to pay for the memorial and related costs has almost been reached. So far $2,230 have been donated.
"God is Amazing!" poster Heidi Conner said Monday morning. "A big thanks to all of you for your blessings on this family with some of the much needed peace they deserve."
Here are some comments left on Patch from friends and family of Porter:
- If you knew him, you knew what a great boy he was and how much he is loved and missed.
Heather Veda Blades-McDaniel
- I knew Darius personally and he had one of the biggest hearts I've ever known anyone to have. What he was going through I don't think anyone of us will ever know for sure. Love and miss you brother.
- Can't believe you're gone Darius, rest in peace, I miss you and love you. You had so much potential. 6 years as a good friend of mine. You will always be in my heart.
- Darius Porter was a very good man. For those that didn't know him Darius was great, he loved his family and he loved his friends, he was an amazing basketball player and was extremely nice. Nobody will ever understand what he went threw to have this happen to him. I pray for his mom and dad that have to say goodbye to their son way too soon. I know as a friend of the family that they are going through it, so please pray for them.Darius was one of my best friends in high school and it hurts SO bad.
- Darius was such an amazing guy. None of this makes sense. I went to high school with him, we had a few classes together. Everyday his smile lit up the room! He always was happy and made little jokes. I have so many memories I will forever cherish. Prayers go out to his family and everyone involved. We all love you Darius and you will always be forever in our hearts<3
Karyn Ann Amann
- I had a few classes with Darius in high school. He was always very sweet and mild mannered which is why I'm so dumbfounded by all of this. My thoughts are with his family and close friends.
- Rachel O'Brien
- Darius Porter you were an amazing friend. I've known you for 3 years. I remember everything from helping each other out in getting jobs together.—it was fun working with u—and most of all my best friend. You will be missed Darius.
- You will be missed young man!! You will always be a part of my family!! RIP YOUNG MAN! - Coach B
- Rest in paradise Bro I'll never forget all the times we shared ball'n at the gym. To the family of D-po sorry for the loss. Your son was a great man and friend. He brought the smiles and happiness wherever he was.. T_T