Originally posted at 10:53 a.m. March 6, 2014. Updated with new information.
San Clemente High School is on lockdown after law enforcement officials got wind of a bomb threat posted on a social media outlet.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department tweeted that deputies are making a sweep of the school. Lt. Jeff Hallock told City News Service that the threat was made over YikYak, an app that allows users to post anonymously, not even requiring email accounts to sign in.
The call came in at about. 9 a.m., Hallock said.
Capistrano Unified spokesman Marcus Walton sent a message to parents, instructing them to not come to the school.
Walton recorded the phone message sent to parents shortly before 10:30 this morning:
Students at San Clemente High School are sheltering in place as law enforcement investigates reports of a bomb threat that were allegedly made on social media. Law enforcement and school officials have students sheltering in place as a precautionary measure. District officials do not have any additional information at this time, but are asking parents to not come to the school site. Parents will be kept informed through phone messages, emails and the school and district website.
Yik Yak has come under fire as an easy way to make threats and slander. Last month, a student in Alabama was arrested for making threats on Yik Yak.
The situation is not a first at San Clemente High, which received a bomb threat on the first day of school in 2011.
A parent information line has been set up at (949) 234-5575.
Patch will have more details as they become available.