.

Fire Officials: Unattended Candle May Have Sparked Condo Fire

The flames caused extensive damage to a San Clemente home.

Patch file photo.
Patch file photo.
Firefighters believe a fire at a San Clemente condo Sunday may have been started by an unattended candle, officials said today.

The blaze, at a two-story, 1,500- square-foot San Clemente condominium in the 150 block of Avenida Baja, was reported just after 9 p.m., Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi said.

The unit sustained extensive damage, about $150,000 in all, Concialdi said. 

"A mom, a dad and a 2-year-old child were inside when the fire started in a bedroom, but the occupants got out," Concialdi said.

No injuries were reported, he said.

Thirty firefighters had the fire under control in about a half hour, Concialdi said.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »