By Martin Henderson
That 35-6 pasting that Tesoro gave El Toro last week really resonated with voters in the Orange County Top 10 media poll.
The Titans were the big movers, jumping three positions to the No. 5 slot in the collective opinion of the media. That sets the stage for this week's marquee event, Tesoro at Mission Viejo. If Tesoro wins, it will clinch a share of the league title. If Mission wins, it still has to beat El Toro and Trabuco Hills.
Tesoro's jump also vaulted it into the role of second-best public school, a title that had previously been held by La Habra and Trabuco Hills.
Santa Margarita dropped two positions even though it was still in the game in the fourth quarter against third-ranked Servite despite doing nothing in the first half.
JSerra drops from 7 to 8, and Edison jumps from 10 to 9, placing it above Corona del Mar.
Below is the county Top 10 after Week 7, with first place counting for 10 points, second for nine, etc.).
ORANGE COUNTY FOOTBALL POLL
Text by Steve Fryer, Orange County Register
(Ten members of the media vote each week in the poll)1. Mission Viejo (7-0, 99 points) Diablos opened South Coast League play with 70-17 smashing of San Clemente. Next: Vs. Tesoro at Mission Viejo High, Friday
2. Mater Dei (7-0, 91) Another big Justin Allen game in 38-14 win over JSerra. Next: Vs. Santa Margarita at Santa Ana Stadium, Friday.
3. Servite (4-3, 78) Unlike in previous two games, Friars got off to strong start in 30-14 win over Santa Margarita. Next: Vs. Orange Lutheran at Cerritos College, Friday.
4. Orange Lutheran (6-1, 71) Lancers hung in there for a while with St. John Bosco in 42-24 loss. Next: Vs. Servite at Cerritos College, Friday.
5. Tesoro (6-1, 51) Titans strangled El Toro passing attack in 35-6 win. Next: At Mission Viejo, Friday.
6. La Habra (6-1, 49) League winning streak at 32 games after 55-0 thumping of Sunny Hills. Next: Vs. Troy at La Habra High, Friday.
7. Santa Margarita (3-4, 39) Eagles might have to go 3-0 to make playoffs. Next: Vs. Mater Dei at Santa Ana Stadium, Friday.
8. JSerra (5-2, 28) Lions 0-2 in Trinity, and it gets no easier this week. Next: Vs. St. John Bosco at Saddleback College, Friday.
9. Edison (5-2, 26) Strong second half vaults Chargers to 28-16 win over Newport Harbor. Next: Vs. Los Alamitos at Huntington Beach High, Friday.
10. Corona del Mar (7-0, 16) Sea Kings won surprisingly close one against Woodbridge, 14-7. Next: At University, Friday.
MARTIN HENDERSON'S VOTE FROM
1. Mission Viejo (7-0) Biggest challenge to South Coast League title is against Tesoro.
2. Mater Dei (7-0) Continued mastery of JSerra.
3. Servite (4-3) Still a game in the fourth quarter against Santa Margarita, Mater Dei.
4. Orange Lutheran (7-0) Played with Bosco for a half, which is saying something.
5. Santa Margarita (3-4) Rallied only after benching
QB against Servite, tough decisions going forward.
6. Tesoro (6-1) Can clinch share of first place with
victory over Mission.
7. La Habra (6-1) Against common opponents, not as impressive as Tesoro.
8. Edison (5-2) More impressive vs. Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Mater Dei than JSerra.
9. JSerra (5-2) Beat Trabuco more impressively than SMCHS
10. Trabuco Hills (4-3) Idle last week. Could this be my
last vote for them?