From the city of San Clemente --
The “Friends of San Clemente” Beaches, Parks & Recreation Foundation is pleased to announce the latest addition to its Sports Hall of Fame Selection Committee, Mr. Jon Hamro, who serves as Athletic Director at San Clemente High School.
The Sports Hall of Fame will appear on a dedicated wall at the San Clemente Aquatics Center and will formally recognize individuals for their outstanding contributions and dedication to San Clemente youth sports; or serving as a role model in the spirit of sportsmanship, athletics, and teamwork.
The program, , is being administered by the Friends of San Clemente, a charitable foundation that focuses on supporting programs for our community.
The selection committee is responsible for the review of nominees and approval of those who will appear on the Sports Hall of Fame. The application deadline to nominate individuals has been extended to January 31, 2013.
The entire selection committee consists of the following:
- Don Kindred - Friends Foundation & Publisher of The San Clemente Journal
- Jay Longley – Rainbow Sandals
- Jim Evert – San Clemente City Council
- John Dorey- Friends Foundation
- Jon Hamro – SC High School Athletic Director
- Norb Garrett - Publisher & Founder of San Clemente Times
- Sam Masotto – San Clemente Little League President
- Steve Pezman – San Clemente Surfer & Publisher - Surfing Heritage
- Sandy Kos - San Clemente Aquatics programs
The selection committee has established an election process that will take place once each year. During this launch year, up to ten (10) individuals will be inducted in the Sports Hall of Fame, and up to three (3) maximum annually in subsequent years.
The public is encouraged to submit applications to nominate individuals. All nominees must meet the selection criteria determined by the Friends of San Clemente.
Selected honorees will be formally recognized at an annual Friends of San Clemente spring “Friend”raiser event held at the Aquatics Center located at Vista Hermosa Sports Park.