1. I scream for ice cream, I scream for ice cream (and no, that’s not a typo): The school family at Lobo Elementary will have an ice cream social noon today at the lunch tables. Take in the cool stuff and meet new principal Cheryl Sampson.
2. A teacher returns: Anna Elder rejoins the Las Palmas family after a year away, Principal Kristen Nelson writes. Elder previously was a long-term substitute for Sra. Noguez and an intervention teacher K-5 here at Las Palmas. She then was hired in National City where she taught last year in a third grade classroom. When a kindergarten position opened up at Las Palmas, Elder was the first in line. “I love being a part of Las Palmas and am so happy to be back!” Elder recently said. Welcome back to Las Palmas, Anna Elder!
3. Not the kind of shredding San Clemente’s used to: The city is sponsoring a mobile document shredding event (see what I did there?!) on Saturday. It runs from 8 am. to noon at the city yard near the U-Haul outlet, 390 Avenida Pico. There are no limits on the quantity. Items not accepted at the event include newspapers, magazines and soiled or wet paper. All personal containers used to transport your documents will be returned to you. For more information call (949) 498-9436 or visit the city website.
4. Get the led out like it was 1975: A twist on the tribute band, an all-female Led Zeppelin band, Lady Zep, will take the stage at OC Tavern Saturday. Doors open at 9 p.m.; tickets are $5 and it’s a 21-and-up show.
5. Patch read of the day: A Life Cut Too Short
For other fun events, check our events calendar.